Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Mommy Anxiety

This may come as a shock to many of you but in "real life," I am really quite shy. Until I get to know you.  Meeting you for the first time you may think I am rude. I look down at the floor a lot. I shuffle my feet. I am a little bit awkward and lack confidence. I do not do the friendly expected chit chat very well. My anxiety gets the best of me and then I start thinking, and once I start thinking, I get paranoid. And then I start to second guess my every move. So I just don't say anything in fear of saying the wrong thing. They should teach a class on how to deal with being the cause of uncomfortable silence. I live in my head. I have no problems expressing all of my thoughts on paper, it's that eye contact thing that really bothers me. Unless we are close and I have become comfortable around you, and then you will not get me to shut up and you will be stunned to hear this completely forgetting those first few times we met. Any time I go to an appointment or a store for the "first time" I have to coax myself up. Need to make a call to make a reservation? Ugh.  Oil change? Dread! I'll never give up though. I don't want to let my social anxiety inhibit me from having an amazing life and usually I find once I push through the initial barrier, my best times were the times I took risks.  So, here is to conquering my self doubt, stepping out of my comfort zone, and practice what I am always telling my kids and really letting that freak flag fly. Not to be so consumed with what other people think that I start to mask my weirdness, my uniqueness,my awesomeness. So today, I challenge you to confront your fears. What gives you anxiety? Let's face it head on- together.  You wanna know what I did? I bought our tickets  for the annual St Marys cocktail party. And if you go looking for me, better wait in line because this mama is going to be mingling with the best of them.
The open bar helps. Xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment